New year, new goals? Most people think, (or at least I do) what can I do different in the new year? New Year resolutions like weight loss, gym membership, eating healthier, exercising more, start couponing, start a savings account, start yoga, take more trips, quit smoking, less swearing, pay off credit cards, call mom more often. Ever feel like, once you're off to a great start, after a while, the excitement and motivation fades off? Yes, we've all been there. For me, it's the gym. I haven't been to the gym since before I had my two under two. I know I need to go. It gives me more energy, helps me look better physically, mentally and emotionally, eat healthier, and it is something I need to do for myself. But I can't seem to get out of the house everyday, why is that?! The hardest step is always the first step right? So how do you start your new years goals and stay committed?
Here is a quick rundown for 5 simple steps for creating New Years goals:
- Write down your goals. Actually write them down on paper and put it on your fridge, chalkboard, or bathroom mirror. Somewhere you will see them everyday staring at you in the face.
- Be realistic. If you wanna lose 100 pounds in two weeks, that is going to be extremely challenging and near impossible. Break your big goal down to smaller goals. And once you reach those smaller goals, reward yourself, you reached a milestone and you should be proud of yourself.
- Stay accountable. Have your spouse, friend, child, someone keep you accountable and for your goals. Keep your eye on the prize!
- When you feel down, remind yourself why you're doing it. Some days may be more challenging than others. Some days it's easy to forget why you're doing it. But digging down deep for the real genuine reason you are doing it, will help you stay focused to your ultimate goal.
- Don't give up. I can definitely say I've quit at something in the past and it didn't make me feel very good knowing I just gave up. You'll thank yourself later. Even if you break your goal, give yourself some grace, it won't make or break anything. Everyday is a new chance to start fresh. You can do it. Don't give up!
Here are some of my personal goals for 2018:
- drink more water
- go to the gym 4x a week
- do more yoga
- put my phone down during 4-8 everyday
- think of something everyday that I'm grateful for
- spend one on one time with each of my children
- add more money to my kids savings accounts every month
Wearing an anchor tank top and anchor yoga pants from Island Bum.
Are you making New Years Resolutions this year? Share them in the comments, I'd love to hear!